Pages

Friday 15 March 2013

WARNING !!!! It's a really BIG snake !!!

WOW !!! It's a great Big Python!!!

A Very Big Hello to you all !!!!!

Phew !!!! What a morning it's been !!! It's taken us about 3 hours to catch and release the biggest African Rock Python we have ever seen !!!  
As I passed the couch (outdoor dog couch) this morning, I felt something bump  me on my leg and was horrified to see a snake had just striked at me.  It was Huge and it was Very-Very upset!!!!  
Pythons are constrictors and non-venomous and rarely bite, but when they do, it's treated just as you would any other  wound. But don't let it get a grip and start coiling itself around you!! Boy!!! with a python this size!!! you'll not easily get it uncoiled again!!! It will just squeeze the life out of you, slowly, and with every breath you take!!!!!
This is the dog's couch..... and it's not a small couch by any means......
 
      ...with it's tail at one side of the couch.....
            ...and it's body zig-zagging....
      ....down the entire length of the couch...
....and it's head coming out on the other side of the couch....
....It took 5 people to wrestle it and yes we really did wrestle with it ... 
.... the strength of this snake was utterly surprising..... (hubby is not laughing but heaving !!!!)
....trying to not hurt it, but having to really hold on....
....and trying to get it into a lion crate was exhausting to say the least....
    .....just look at the size of that head!!!!.....

...and during all of this, there wasn't a dog or cat around, they took themselves away - except for one very curious and weary kitty cat.... Bontie, looking on from a great distance, save from her viewpoint on the roof......
....and after a huge, long struggle and a few scary moments, we managed to get it into the crate.... Phew !!!! we were completely worn out......!!!!!
...we released it on the other side of the farm....
              ..... back in the bush .....
                ....where it belongs....
                    .....unharmed and free again....
I wonder how many people started their day like that!!!

Till later my friends!!!! Have a happy crafty week-end!!!!

Love
AMarie
  

8 comments:

  1. Hi Anne-Marie, thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Oh my goodness, that snake!! It was huge! We might have rubbish weather in the UK but at least our snakes and insects are small. I hope the rest of your day was less eventful!

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillian, Nice to hear from you!!! She was a real beauty wasn't she?!!
      Love
      AMarie

      Delete
  2. No I don't think a single one of us started their day like that!!

    I don't mean to sound a wimp, but I don't think I would have coped! we're just not used to things like that. I think we must lead very sheltered lives compared to you!! Anyway well caught and set free! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, I think if you lived here you would be just fine!!! We all adapt to our circumstances!!
      Love
      AMarie

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3/22/2013

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann Marie. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a wonderful Easter too. No snakes though. Yikes that a big one. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most shocking thing I ever woke up to was a slug crawling on my carpet. I can only imagine it came into the house via the laundry basket that had been in the grass that day while the laundry was drying. Now I alway check the baskets very carefully! This snake is amazing and huge! Happy Easter to you and family too :) xo K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3/29/2013

    I wake up to Spring lambs in the field next door and that is wildlife enough for me. I would love to visit your beautiful country but would want you and your family as protectors . Wonderful that you managed to set it free. Your good deed for the ay indeed.
    My daughter is working in the US just now and she has just met a chap from South Africa and she thinks he is wonderful so maybe I will visit one day.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated